Stockton, Alabama

A Sampling of Stockton’s Historical Buildings/Homes

 

 Stockton has 26 homes and buildings that have been awarded Historical Plaques by the Baldwin County Historical Commission, with over 65 others that qualify for the award.

William Edward Bryant/Maggie Richerson Home:  1911

The home of William Edward and his wife, Maggie Richerson  Bryant, was begun in 1911.  Mr. Willie was Justice of the Peace for many years and also had a mill in operation in Dyas Fork where the framing and the joist for his home were cut and hauled by ox team to its present location.  The dimensions were 2 feet by 12 feet.; the sills 12 feet by 12 feet.  The ceiling, flooring and weatherboarding were bought from the Cedar Creek Lumber Company in Brewton, Alabama, shipped by rail to Bay Minette and hauled by ox team to Stockton.   The home is now owned by Mr. and Mrs. William Morris who have restored all of the original out buildings and allow tours of their “working farm”.  Also located on this property, is the oldest barn in the state of Alabama. 

W. G. Aikin Home:  1912

Built in 1912, this home is located on Highway 59 next to Stagecoach Café.  The home is now owned by Mrs. Penny Holcombe.  

 

251-937-3738

P. O. Box 127

Contact us:

Stockton Heritage Association                    

Stockton, AL  36579

email:

Please also visit with us on our facebook page:  “Community of Stockton, AL”.   

            Become a fan and keep up with the latest news and events taking place in our community, or post items of interest that you would like to share with us.

Stocktonala.com

Click icon to visit our Facebook page

Text Box: McMillan-Robinson Home: 
This house was built by William Sylvester McMillan and his wife, Tabitha Booth.  Originally it was one story with a hip roof.  The porch was shorter, and did not go all the way across the front.  The house had two square columns.  Bay windows extended across the front.  It features a  central hallway with doors at each.  All door and window facings were hand made.  The rear porch extends all the way across the house.  A four foot wide walk led from the house to the kitchen and dining room, and another covered walk led to the well.   The lumber was had picked by Mr. McMillan and sawn at the Robinson-McMillan sawmill.  Architect was Charles Daniels.  Later the house was occupied by W. S. McMillan’s sister, Martha Ann, and her husband G. W. Robinson, and has remained in that family since that time.   When the home was damaged by fire, the Robinson’s restored the home, adding a second floor and extending the porch across the length of front of the building.